Tragacanth Gum / Gond Katira is a plant gum. There are amazing health benefits of Gond Katira / Gondh Katira which the author highlights in this article. Whats is Gond Katira? Gond Katira (Tragacanth Gum) has a cooling effect on the body. It is a solid gum in white or...
Tragacanth Gum / Gond Katira is a plant gum. There are amazing health benefits of Gond Katira / Gondh Katira which the author highlights in this article.
Whats is Gond Katira?
Gond Katira (Tragacanth Gum) has a cooling effect on the body. It is a solid gum in white or light yellow colour which becomes soft after absorbing water once soaked in it.
It is very useful if consumed during summers. It is usually consumed mixed in lemon water or in milk.
Why Gond Katira?
It cools down the heat formed in the body. in addition to it, it is a good source of protein & folic acid which prevent many health conditions in the body. let us learn what all diseases & conditions can be prevented with the use of Tragacanth Gum or Gond Katira.
Health Benefits of Gond Katira (Tragacanth Gum):
1. Boost your energy
If you are feeling weakness in the body or you tend to get tired easily with minimal exertion, then using Tragacanth Gum can be beneficial. You can consume Katira Gond / Tragacanth Gum in milk & sugar in the morning and you will feel fresh through the day.
2. Prevents Heat Stroke
In peak summers, the cooling benefits of Tragacanth Gum or Katira Gond can prevent heat stroke or sun-stroke in people who have to go who stay outdoors in a hot climate. It can be consumed even twice daily as soaked in a chilled beverage like milkshake or sharbats.
3. Helps in Constipation
Gond Katira is an amazing laxative i.e. it can stimulate the evacuation of bowel movement. If you are facing the problem of constipation frequently, then try taking tragacanth gum daily.
4. Pregnant Women
Tragacanth Gum or Katira Gond has high nutritional value. This is the reason it can be used during pregnancy because a woman requires better nutrition for their and their baby’s health. Generally, Sugar or jaggery containing Ladoos or handmade balls of Gond Katira mixed with a finely ground powder of channa (Bengal gram ) or Dal (Lentil) are given to pregnant ladies since ages in India.
5. Improves burning sensation in hands & Feet
It improves burning sensation in hands & feet as it is a common problem in some people. For this, 2 teaspoons of Tragacanth Gum (Gond Katira) should be soaked in a glass of water & should be consumed in the morning with sweetened drinks or milk.
6. Heals Mouth Ulcers
If you are suffering from mouth ulcers, you can use finely ground paste of Gond Katira on your ulcers for a fast immediate relief. It helps by reducing the inflammation thereby reducing redness & pain caused by ulcers.
7. Helps in Weight Loss
Katira Gond or Tragacanth Gum is rich in fiber & has the properties to boost the metabolism of the body. High fiber content means more satiety & lower frequency of hunger pangs. The increased metabolic rate would automatically increase energy requirements of the body thereby leaving a lesser number of calories to get converted to fat. So, if you intend to lose extra body weight or are on weight maintenance diet, Gond Katira can help you up to a great extent.
8. Good For Glowing Skin
Katira Gond is wonderful for the skin as it contains soluble fiber that detoxifies the system & helps to improve the complexion & glow of the skin.
Eating Gond Katira daily can work wonders in improving the skin quality by reducing the wrinkles and improving the elasticity of the skin thereby working as an anti-aging remedy for the skin.
Prepare Mask For Glowing Skin
You can also apply a mask prepared with soaked Gond Katira Powder with 3 teaspoons of almond powder, 3 teaspoons of milk, 1 egg white mixed with 10 teaspoons of rose water. Mix all these ingredients well till it becomes like a paste and then apply on your face and neck. let it dry for 15 minutes and face it finally with water for a glowing wrinkle free skin.
9. Can improve the Immune System
If you have recurrent infections such as a cough & cold and have a compromised immunity, you can have amazing results in improving your defence against infections by consuming Gond Katira or Tragacanth Gum.
10. Improves Libido in men
Whether you have low libido or you suffer from early discharge or nightfall, regular use of Tragacanth Gum or Katira Gond can help you tremendously.
Imagine your life without the Tea and Biscuit combo especially if you are from north India. For most of us, the moment of sheer relaxation is the moment of holding a hot cup of favorite tea with a tray filled with the variety of biscuits. It’s been a custom to entertain ourselves or our guests with this so-called light snacking option. Not just at home, a piping hot cup of tea is sold like hot-selling cakes in every street of India.
Everyone has a specific preference for his type of tea like Milk Tea, Masala Tea, English Breakfast, Darjeeling green, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, White Tea, Yellow Tea, Dark Tea, Black Tea etc. Similarly, biscuit fans have a wide list of varieties available nowadays on market shelves. But, for weight watchers, the most common trend these days to consume the digestive version of biscuits and not the common biscuits. Can you relate to this???
Well, if you think that biscuits are healthy… The answer is NO… all the varieties of biscuits or cookies are just the same & can truly be categorized as processed foods, no matter what brand name has been printed on the packet.
This article thus brings out some eye-opening nutritional facts about the so-called & believed combination of TEA & BISCUITS.
FACTS ABOUT TEA
India is a largest tea drinking country in the world. But consuming as the first thing after you wake up or drinking it too frequently throughout the day, is not a wise choice. Wanna know why…
- It increases acid production in the stomach – Our stomach produces acid (HCl/ Hydrochloric Acid) to digest food well. Even at fasting state, the ph of the stomach remains acidic around 1-2. Thus, consuming tea as the first thing in the morning after overnight fast or consuming it as the main fluid source in a day, can lead to hyperacidity and thus, gastric problems like ulcer, bloating, constipation can happen.
- It causes dehydration because drinking too much tea may have diuretic action i.e. increasing urine output. Tea results in water to be drawn out from the tissues causing dehydration.
- It may cause indigestion, due to the presence of milk as an important ingredient, tea can cause symptoms of indigestion.
FACTS ABOUT BISCUITS
The eye-catching word on the packet is WHOLEMEAL WHEAT FLOUR – used as the main ingredient. But actually, these biscuits are mass produced that contain primarily whole wheat flour, malic acid, & tartaric acid, vegetable oil, powdered skim milk, sugar and of course baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). The baking soda in the baked goods will not help in digestion because the heat of the baking oven alters its properties but surely has sodium intact which can increase blood pressure or increase water retention.
How many digestive biscuits do you eat each time? The most common answer is …TWO!! But from a health expert’s point of view, you should not incorporate even the digestive biscuits in bulk quantity in your routine diet.
Two digestive biscuits contain about:
- 150 calories.
- 20 g carbs.
- 5 g Sugar.
- 2 g proteins.
- 1 g fiber.
A single biscuit contains about 75 calories. Proving them to be high in energy with very little nutritional value.
On the contrary, a large apple contains around 90 calories with loads of additional nutritional value. Or a fistful of roasted nuts is also a better option to munch.
Don’t choose by name, know what’s actually in!
All biscuits are made from similar ingredients & are not exactly a great source of nutrition as commonly believed. The usual ingredients in a digestive biscuit are-
1. SUGAR- The sugar content of digestive biscuit may not be as high as regular biscuits but is enough to not to be considered healthy. Each biscuit has around (3-5) grams of sugar. And as obvious effects, regular consumption of added sugar is not good for your waist, blood sugar levels & heart too.
2. FLOUR- Although claimed to be commonly whole wheat flour or oats, but it is the smaller particle size which is needed to make a biscuit in a semi-refined form of flour. Moreover, the processing of wheat does lead to a loss of vitamins, minerals & even bran. Thus, it may not be the best choice for including fiber in the daily menu.
3. FATS- Contrary to what is expected, a whopping amount of 3-5 grams of saturated fat is present per digestive biscuit.
4. SODIUM – You will be surprised to know that taking 4 digestive biscuits is equal to nearly a bag of potato chips! That’s really a matter of concern for our heart health or for the people with high blood pressure, who eat these biscuits mistaking them to be a healthier option.
5. PRESERVATIVES- Added to increase the shelf life of a product. Always bear in mind that any product with more than 2 weeks of shelf life will be loaded with chemicals called preservative to prevent or slow down biological deterioration.
Nutritional Values of common varieties or brands of biscuits available in India
Given below is the broad analysis of nutritional contents of common varieties or brands of biscuits available in India
|Britannia Marie Gold||250.58g||4.16g||0.5g|
|Sunfeast Marie Light||220.6g||3.81g||0.42g|
|Britannia Nutri choice||813.5g||11g||1.4g|
|Hide n Seek||301.1g||4.5g||0.4g|
|Milano Choco-chip cookies||874.3g||11g.||0.8g|
|Cream Filled- Bourbon||673.1g||9.2g||0.7g|
|Glucose Biscuits- ParleG or Tiger||220.6g||3.6g||1.25g|
Tea and biscuits seem a tempting combination in which tea is a rich source of antioxidants called Catechins, which are beneficial when consumed in limited quantities at appropriate timings. Overconsumption of this universally favorite morning beverage is harmful to our gut & waist.
Optionally, feeding oneself with 3-4 cups of healthy alternatives like green tea, herbal tea or lemon tea could make a great difference from antioxidant as well as digestion point of view. Also, it is the need of the hour to strictly avoid munching not so healthy options like digestive biscuits, as they are:
- High in fat, particularly saturated fats.
- Low in vitamins and minerals.
- High in sugar and sodium.
- Typically, biscuits consist of highly refined or semi-refined flour & chemically hardened vegetable oil.
- The healthy seeming words like oats & dried fruits often contain more sugar than standard biscuits.
- The worst thing is trans fats.
Hope the information above is helpful to you and your loved ones. Give a like if you found it useful and do share it.
Stay blessed, stay informed & Live Life More 🙂
In this article, we’re going to explain top 12 ways to eat healthy in Navratri fasting diet tips. It is important to eat small meals at regular intervals. This will keep your metabolism fast.
Navratri Fasting Diet Tips
Navratri 2019 Best Ways To Eat Healthy In Fasting
- Replace fried foods with non-fried options and include more of yogurt, smoothies, lassi and fruits which not only will keep you full but maintain the optimum fluids in the body.
- Instead of puri or pakodas made from Kuttu atta, try out Kuttu ki roti, replace fried aloo-chat with boiled aloo-chat and kheer with mixed-fruit curd or flavored yogurt.
- If your taste buds please and time allows, make some idli and dosa from the samak ke chawal.
- Limit your potato intake to about twice a week.
- Replace whole milk with skimmed milk or double toned milk for desserts.
- Substitute sugar in a sweet dish with natural sugars.
- Keep drinking water, coconut water, lemonade (without sugar), herbal teas …as much as you can. It works as a great detox.
- Eating veggies like pumpkin and ghia (bottle gourd) in different forms like soups and curries to fill you up with fewer calories.
- Use rajgira flour to make chapattis instead of using kuttu ka atta. It’s lighter and low in calories.
- Be fruit-friendly this Navratri. Try including fresh fruits in your diet in various forms of salads, smoothies and raitas to keep up with your nutrition, Fruits have healthy sugar fructose. Seasonal fruits boost the immunity and fiber, iron and B6 intake to supercharge your metabolism.
- Instead of having namkeens and pakodas as snacks, have a handful of roasted makhanas or a handful of nuts like almonds, pistachios, walnuts or hazelnuts.
- Drink low-fat milk, lassi, and yogurt, it reduces your cravings to eat junk food. Add cucumber, lauki or tomato to your yogurt to make it more filling.
So, enjoy your food and great health these Navratras. Wish you all a very Happy Navratri 2019 from the team of LiveLifeMore®
It might sound hard to make a healthy food choice between the famous Indian snacks offered in parties these days, but it’s not really that hard.
Options I had in front of me at a recent party were:
- Paneer Tikka
- Stuffed Mushroom
- Cheese Roll
I had similar questions and found out the answers. This article is to help you avoid eating unhealthy options which are usually available in the menu of parties. here, we provide you the nutritional summary of these famous snacks.
Serving size: 100 g
Serving Size: 100g
Serving Size: 1
Hence the most nutritious snack amongst them all is clearly stuffed mushrooms which provide 40kcal, 3g fats, 3g carbs and 2g proteins.
So, being on diet does not mean being anti-social or being on a punishment. You can still choose what snacks are healthier amongst the ones available. Enjoy the treats but do not let your diet plan go for a toss. Stick to a regime, follow it with commitment & achieve the desired results.
The festival of Lohri is around the corner after one full year…Let us share with you today the health benefits of Lohri’s special delicacies including Lohri sweets & dishes. And we at LiveLifeMore® keep trying to share the ‘Wisdom of Wellness‘ that ‘adds years to your life & adds life to your years’.
Let us share with you today the health benefits of Lohri’s special delicacies… i.e., Moongfali, Gachak, Rewari, Popcorns etc.
1. Sesame Seeds: These little seeds present in Rewari are loaded with essential minerals such as manganese, copper, iron, phosphorus, and calcium. The zinc in sesame seeds promotes bone health and prevents osteoporosis later in life. Among all the nuts and seeds commonly eaten across the world, sesame seeds have been found to contain the highest amount of phytosterols, which are known to lower bad cholesterol. Sesame seeds increase your levels of Vitamin E, which plays a vital role in fighting disease. Studies show that sesame seeds can improve the effectiveness of certain diabetes medication. Sesame seed oil is known to reduce hypertension and ease stress. The antioxidants in sesame seeds fight free radicals, thereby promoting youthfulness and strengthening the immune system. A substance in sesame seeds has found to inhibit the spread of many Cancers.
2. Groundnuts or Peanuts (Moongfali): Peanuts contain a good amount of folate. Women who had a daily intake of 400 micrograms of folic acid before and during early pregnancy reduced their risk of having a baby born with a serious neural tube defect by up to 70%. One-fourth cup of peanuts can supply the body with 35% of the DV of manganese, a mineral which plays a role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation. It may come as a surprise that peanuts can help prevent gallstones. But 20 years of studies have shown that eating 1 ounce of nuts, peanuts or peanut butter a week lowers the risk of developing gallstones by 25%. Peanuts are good sources of tryptophan, an essential amino acid which is important for the production of serotonin, one of the key brain chemicals involved in mood regulation. When depression occurs, a decreased amount of serotonin may be released from the nerve cells in the brain. Tryptophan may raise serotonin’s antidepressant effects when there is an increased amount of serotonin in the blood. Do you know what can be found in peanuts that gave them the “brain food” tag? This is due to their vitamin B3 or niacin content whose many health benefits include normal brain functioning and boosting memory power. The same nutrient which gives peanuts their memory enhancing power also helps lower and control cholesterol levels. Added to that is their copper contents which aids in reducing bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels. It is proven that regular nuts consumption is linked to reduced risk of heart disease. Peanuts are rich in heart-friendly monounsaturated fats and antioxidants such as oleic acid. Reach for a handful of peanuts and other nuts at least four times a week to reduce your risk of cardiovascular and coronary heart disease. Those who have an intake of the most niacin-rich foods like peanuts were 70% less likely to have developed Alzheimer’s disease. A quarter cup a day of peanuts can already supply almost a quarter of the daily needed value for niacin. A form of phytosterols called beta-sitosterol (SIT) is found in high concentrations in some plant oils, seeds, and legumes including peanuts. Phytosterols not only protects against cardiovascular disease by interfering with the absorption of cholesterol, they also protect against cancer by inhibiting tumor growth. Surprise!!! Eating nuts regularly is associated with a lowered risk of weight gain. Research has shown that people who eat nuts at least twice weekly are much less likely to gain weight than those who almost never eat them.
3. Jaggery or GUR (Present in Gachak): Jaggery is a great remedy for anemia, asthma, joint pains and menstrual pains. It also aids in digestion, purifies blood and keeps the skin away from problems such as acnes and pimples. It is a great energy booster as it provides us lots of energy. If you feel drained at any point of the day, a piece of jaggery with water can do wonders for you. Jaggery is a wonderful sweet that not only tastes delicious but also purifies the blood. It acts as a cleansing agent for our blood and purifies it. You simply have to add it to your diet and have its benefits. It also helps get rid of digestion problems. If you eat a piece of jaggery every day with water or milk, your body will be free from all toxins. Jaggery is a rich source of iron and if women add it to their daily diet, it helps them get rid of anemia. It is a must eat for all women, especially teenagers and pregnant women. Jaggery is great for your skin also. It makes your skin healthy and charming. If you have acne and pimples on your skin, eat jaggery every day. You will definitely see them going away and get a lovely and flawless skin. It is an age-old remedy to cure dry cough and cold. If you don’t like eating Jaggery in its raw form, you can try jaggery laddoos, which are made with sesame seeds and jaggery. They are very good in taste. Jaggery is, often, recommended to Asthma patients as it is a great remedy to cure asthma. It has such properties which regulate body temperature which is very good for Asthma patients. It also has anti-allergy properties.
4. Popcorn: Popcorn is kind of a big deal. Not just because it’s delicious, but it’s recently been found to actually be good for you. Really. A serving of popcorn contains more antioxidants than a day’s worth of fruits and vegetables. But that’s not to say that all popcorn is terrific for you, we’re talking plain popcorn here. A cup of plain pop only contains around 31 calories (compared to a cup of regular potato chips which holds around 139 calories…not exactly great). Popcorn also contains fiber and is the only snack that’s 100% whole grain. And whole grains are really good for you because they contain those antioxidants. In popcorn’s case, the antioxidants are found in the hull (the seedy part that gets stuck in your teeth) and are called polyphenols. Like all antioxidants, polyphenols help protect against cancers, heart diseases, and other illnesses that are caused by free radicals (cells that attack other healthy ones). Whole grains are also high in dietary fiber, rich in complex carbohydrates, and are low in fat, making popcorn a way better snack than anyone originally thought. And just because you’re not crazy about plain pop doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy its healthy benefits. Add on herbs like dill or curry, healthy oils such as olive or coconut, or sprinkle on some spices.
Stay informed, stay connected, spread awareness & LiveLifeMore®!
Mostly all people without knowing the surprising Health benefits of papaya seeds throw them away.
The papaya seeds are known as “traditional healers treat”, and it acts as a magical bullet for the treatment of Liver, Kidney, Digestive diseases and many more. In this article, we present some of the important health benefits of papaya seeds.
“The papaya seeds have the numerous medicinal properties”
YES!!! You read it right and it is not a joke!!
Detoxification of Liver
Papaya seeds detoxify the liver easily within a month and increase the appetite mainly in elderly, children and alcoholic patients. Papaya seeds prevent free radical production in the liver cell and easily generate the new cells.
Papaya seeds consist of myrosinase (an enzyme), it activates the cytochrome P 450 isoenzyme in the liver. Papaya seed contains papain, it has the ability to dissolve and clean out the dead tissues without altering the activity of the good cells. This traditional therapy has been used for only 3 weeks and restarts again after one week. During this therapy, water intake is approximately 3-4 liters daily.
Directions for Use:
- Eight to ten seeds to be taken orally with lukewarm water after the meal twice a day for 2 weeks.
- On the other side, boil half spoon of dried seed powder in water and its decoction can be used regularly after the meal once a day.
- In traditional medicines, papaya seed ash (1mg) is mixed with honey (3-5g) twice a day detoxify the liver.
Detoxification of Kidney
The kidney is the mainly responsible for the filtering of whole toxins produced during the metabolism. We all are using wide varieties of unwanted toxins, which results in their deposition and hence causes urinary tract infection, calculi of the kidney, and reduction of filtering capacity. For this, it may help to repair or prevent kidney damage.
Directions for Use:
- Fresh papaya seed should be taken orally in the morning time, approximately 15-20 seeds should be chewed on a daily routine for 3 weeks. After chewing the seeds, take 200-500 ml water after half an hour.
- Papaya seeds are used to heal the damage to the kidney during the filtering process. By chewing seeds, medicinally important chemical present in the seed directly reach blood circulation and increase the efficacy of treatment 50 times.
- It easily eradicates the toxins produced during the metabolism in the whole body and excretes toxins out through urine. Carpaine is an alkaloid present in the papaya seeds which detoxifies the toxins by making a chelate which is easily excreted out.
Improvement in Digestion
- Papaya seed is beneficial to flourish digestive flora, primarily it acts on the liver and increases its vitality to perform better.
- The seed prevents the ulcer formation and heals the ulcer due to the presence of benzylisothiocyanate in the seed and pulp.
- It has the ability to kill and prevent the ulcer-producing bacteria.
- Dried papaya seed powder mixed with honey after food prevents flatulence.
- Five to ten fresh papaya seeds mixed with a pinch of black pepper increase the appetite.
- For worm infection (helminthiasis), air-dried seed powder, 2gm mixed with 1 tsp honey taken once a day empty stomach for a week.
- Papaya seeds contain Papain, which is called as a digestive aid helps in the digestion of proteins.