Boost Your Immunity: How To Make Orange Turmeric and Ginger Detox Drink
With a steep change in the weather, taking care of our immunity has become imperative. While cold and flu are always associated with season change, the importance of boosting immunity is stressed upon. A strong immunity helps fight diseases and keeps them at bay, especially during the days when we are doing our bit to keep up our immunity.
How To Make Orange, Turmeric and Ginger Detox Drink
- 300ml of orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp organic turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger (crushed)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pour the juice in a blender and add turmeric and ginger.
- Blend for 30 seconds and then squeeze half lemon.
- Strain and serve.
Use fresh home-made orange juice for the drink. Enjoy the freshness of this juice during this season while staying healthy.
Health Benefits Of Oranges
Oranges are full with antioxidants that may do wonders for your weakened immunity. These are not only full of vitamin C that naturally boosts your immunity but the ascorbic acid and beta-carotene present in oranges play a vital role in fighting free radical activity which can affect our immunity.
Health Benefits Of Ginger
Ginger has several medicinal properties. Ginger has analgesic, antipyretic and antibacterial effects. Ginger helps in curing cold and sore throat. Ginger also helps in keeping blood pressure and cholesterol level under control.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric
Turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
A pinch of turmeric is said to be useful in fighting respiratory health issues as it contains curcumin which has healing properties. Due to its anti-inflammatory compounds, it helps relieve cough.
H.No: 3258, Sector 46, Chandigarh, 160047
Mango, king of fruits, is a summer speciality and a storehouse of essential nutrients. But as we know, too much of it can reverse its benefits. Eating a single mango is great for health but eating too many can lead to weight gain.
- 1 cup of cut mango 100 g
- Calories100 kcal
- Carbs 14 g
- Protein 1.4g
- Fat Negligible
- Glycemic index ranging from 41-60 (safe enough to eat in moderation)
Health benefits of mangoes:
1. Mangoes help in digestion: Mango is rich in fibre and water content, therefore, it helps in preventing constipation while promoting regularity in the digestive tract, prevent constipation and keeping gut
healthy as well.
2. Mangoes lowers Cholesterol: Mango is rich in fibre, pectin and vitamin C, which helps in lowering serum cholesterol levels, specifically Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) also known as bad cholesterol for the body.
3. Mangoes help in asthma prevention: Mangoes have antioxidants and beta-carotene which help in the prevention of asthma. Mango contains a good quantity of beta-carotene.
4. Mangoes help in improving bone health: One medium mango contains about 15 mg of vitamin K, which improves calcium absorption and promotes optimal bone health.
5. Mangoes help in improving eye health: Mangoes have a good amount of Vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight, prevents night blindness and dry eyes.
6. Mangoes help to boosts immunity: Good amount of vitamin C and vitamin A in mangoes, keep the immune system healthy and strong.
7. Mangoes help to prevent heart disease: The antioxidants, fibre, potassium and vitamin content in mangoes keeps the heart-healthy. 1 cup of sliced mango (100 g) contains 168 mg of potassium with 1 mg
of sodium, which makes mangoes good for the heart.
8. Mangoes help to prevent cancer: Mangoes are rich in beta-carotene and several compounds like quercetin, pectin, iso-quercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic, etc in mango may also play a protective role
against prostate cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer and leukaemia.
9. Mangoes are good for skin and hair: Mangoes are good for your hair because they contain vitamin A, a nutrient required for serum production that keeps hair shinny and moisturised. Vitamin A is also
necessary for the growth of body tissues, including skin and hair.
Adequate intake of vitamin C, which 1-cup of mango per day can provide, is required for the building and maintenance of collagen, which provides structure to skin and hair.
10. Mangoes can be a very good pre-workout snack: Have a mango 30 minutes before your workout session so that you feel absolutely fresh and energetic to perform your best.
Do mangoes make you gain weight?
You might be thinking a lot about how mangoes help in weight gain or loss, but we have to remember that mangoes can also lead to weight gain if taken in excess amount. One medium-sized mango has approximately 150 calories, which means if you eat two medium-sized mangoes you consume approximately 300 calories. And we as Indians, usually like to have mangoes after meals. So, when you add mangoes to your diet, it surely means that you are adding calories without replacing them with something else from your diet. And these additional calories can lead to weight gain.
So, I advise to have mangoes in place of mid-morning or evening snacks, or take a chapatti less or reduce rice intake. One roti gives approximately 100 Kcals, 100g cooked rice, 120Kcals…so now you have to think what you have to skip a roti or one serving of rice if you want to enjoy this delicacy…!!
Hence, you can enjoy the delicious taste of seasonal fruit without worrying about the additional calories and weight gain.
Looking for a simple home remedy to get rid of the heaviness, bloating & constipation? In this article, we are sharing an effective way to Detox after Diwali or Festive Season.
How to Detox after Diwali or Festive season?
You have been meeting friends and family and enjoying their hospitality or have been showing your hospitality. Healthy eating may have taken a back seat during the celebrations. And, now you are feeling bloated, constipation, tired or exhausted and guilty. Aren’t you??
Some herbal tea can help cleanse the body from within by behaving like a natural cleanser and laxative.
Herbal teas are undoubtedly one of the healthiest beverages on the planet. These are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that provide many short and long-term health benefits, including weight loss. Post-Diwali or after eating out too much, you would want to detox your body to get your digestive health back on track. Here comes the role of the herbal teas, such as ginger-basil tea, which is an excellent natural remedy for fighting the harmful effects of indulgence in too many crappy foods and also air pollution.
As the air around us is on the hazardous levels of air pollution, you need something that will not only protect your lungs from the toxic air during the festive season but also helps you burn calories, thus helping you stay fit and healthy. Taking herbal tea can help fight the cold, improve digestion, lower blood pressure, boost up metabolism and provide relief from stress and anxiety. Herbal tea is also good for your skin and hair.
Let me share the recipe of a herbal tea to help your lungs, detox your body and enhance weight loss:
Fresh Ginger and Basil tea for Detoxification, Weight loss, Healthy lungs and more…
– Ginger is one of the oldest home remedies that can help ease digestion, nausea and improve appetite.
– Very potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in ginger can help in relieving congestion and throat pain.
– Ginger tea boosts the immune system and detoxifies the body.
– Ginger is a great weight loss drink by helping you burn more calories.
Why Holy basil Tulsi?
Holy basil, or tulsi in Hindi, has immense health benefits.
– From leaves to the seed, the herb has been used for treating different ailments, such as bronchitis, stomach ulcers, malaria, nausea and vomiting, diabetes, etc.
– Holy basil has excellent anti-inflammatory, antioxidants and immune-boosting properties.
– Holy basil can also help in weight loss and cholesterol management since it improves metabolic stress
How to make ginger basil tea
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
• 4 -5 fresh basil leaves
• Bring the water to a boil.
• Add the ginger and basil leaves to the water and brew for 5-10 minutes.
• Press the basil leaves gently to get more flavour out of them.
• Strain off ginger and basil leaves.
So this herbal concoction is now ready to be consumed.
You can drink it hot or cold. Let this magic tea detoxify your body, lose weight, overcome the harmful effects of air pollution and smog.
Stay blessed & LiveLifeMore!!!
Weight Loss! This word may be a challenge to some and scary to others but it doesn’t have to be either. In this article, we cover 13 effective weight loss tips that will not only help you achieve your weight loss goal stress-free but also help you become a healthier and happier person as well. If you’re one of those individuals that find it difficult to lose that stubborn belly fat despite following countless diet and exercise fads; don’t fear because there is a solution for you.
So, let’s get started
1. Cut Back on Added Sugar
The single most lethal ingredient is known to be added sugar in today’s modern diet. It is known that added sugar is being widely consumed in high volumes
There are numerous studies that show that the consumption of sugar (as well as high fructose corn syrup) has been known to be associated with a number of health issues such as the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease
If you’re planning to lose weight it is highly advised that you cut back on added sugar.
When taking that path, make sure you carefully read the labels because the so-called “health foods” can be loaded with added sugar.
2. Eat Less Refined Carbs
Refined carbs are defined to be either sugar or grains which have been stripped of their fibrous nutritious parts (examples include: white bread and pasta)
Studies have shown that the if you consume refined carbs it can lead to a rapid spike in blood sugar, hunger cravings and increased food intake a few hours later. Obesity is known to be linked to the consumption of refined carbs
If you’re going to consume refined carbs just make sure that you consume them with their natural fibers intact
3. Exercise Portion Control or Count Calories
Portion control (also known as eating less) or the counting of calories can be useful for various reasons (ex: losing weight)
There are various studies which show that keeping a food journal and recording your meals even taking pictures of the meals can aid you in your journey to lose weight and reach your target weight.
Anything that helps you in increasing your awareness in what you consume is most likely to be very useful to you
4. Keep Healthy Food Around
An advantage to keeping healthy food around you is that it can prevent you from consuming something unhealthy in case you become increasingly hungry. If you consume something that is healthy over something that is not, it can help you control your weight as well as blood sugar level
There are a number of snacks which are not only considered portable but easy to prepare as well. These include whole fruits, some nuts (the recommended serving is a handful), some baby carrots, yogurt, and one or two servings of hard-boiled eggs.
5. Shift to Spicy Food
Cayenne pepper contains a compound called Capsaicin that can cause your metabolism to increase and your appetite to reduce slightly. It also is known to bind to the receptors on the nerve fibers that is known to transmits pain and the possibility of heat (this explains the burning effect that you experience on the lining tissue of your mouth when you consume a pepper) It is also known to contain many weight loss properties. There are many kinds of food that contain Capsaicin such as hot peppers and sweet peppers
6. Do Aerobic and Resistance Exercise
The best way you can burn the maximum number of calories is through cardio. Cardio is not only useful in burning calories as it is also known to improve your physical health, but it is also known to improve your mental health. Cardio appears to be particularly effective in losing that stubborn belly fat. So, what is belly fat you ask? Well, belly fat is defined as the unhealthy fat that over time builds up around your organs due to a sedentary lifestyle and poor exercise habits; and it is also known to cause various metabolic diseases (high cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes).
There are many side effects caused by dieting that many are unaware of but one of the worst ones is that it is known to cause muscle loss and the decrease in metabolism (also starvation mode). One of the best ways to prevent this from occurring is to partake in some form of resistance exercise (such as lifting weights). So, what is the point of lifting weights? Well lifting weights can help keep your metabolism levels high and prevent you from experiencing muscle mass loss
Despite the importance of losing unwanted belly fat; one must make sure to do some sort of resistance exercise because it is critical to health.
7. Take More Fiber, Fruits & Vegetables
Fiber is highly recommended for weight loss; it is not only known to increase satiety but I can also aid you in controlling your weight over a long period of time.
Fruits and vegetables contain a few calories but most importantly it contains a lot of fiber as well. Not only that they are known to be rich in water, take a while to chew, and are quite filling. If you feel hungry you can eat a piece of fruit or vegetable and it can not only give you many advantages such as your daily dose of fiber, but it can also give you the satisfaction of being full and prevent you from eating unhealthy food.
Fruits and vegetables have many properties that make them a great snack and an excellent choice for weight loss. Why is this? Well fruits and vegetables are very healthy and they also carry many health benefits
8. Chew Your Food Slowly
After you eat a meal you know that you’re full but it can take your brain a while to process that you have had enough food to eat. Chewing your food slowly during every meal can help in the consumption of fewer calories and also aid in the production of hormones that can aid in weight loss. So, no matter what you eat to make sure that you chew your food thoroughly.
9. Get a Good Night’s Sleep
Nowadays sleep is becoming underrated, and the one thing that many fail to understand is that sleep is considered to be essential as well as an important part of life. One important fact that many are still unaware of is that sleep holds just as much importance as eating healthy. Poor sleep habits are a HUGE contributor to obesity, and it is known to have an increased risk of obesity in children than in adults. Getting a proper night’s sleep is really important and it can be beneficial in losing weight
10. Eat More Protein
The single most important nutrient associated with losing weight is protein. The consumption of protein in your diet causes an increase in the level of metabolism by 80100 calories per day; while helping the feeling of satiated (which is caused by the consumption of fewer than 441 calories per day).
Protein (which is derived of 25% of your calories) can reduce your obsessive thoughts about food by 60, while at the same time cutting your need to late night snack by up to 50%. Simply adding protein to your diet (with restrictions of course!) can be an effective way to lose weight.
11. Avoid Dieting, Just Eat Healthy
One of the biggest issues with many diets is that they almost never work in the long term. Those who diet end up gaining more weight over time and that dieting is considered to be a predictor of weight gain in the future. If you’re looking for an alternative to dieting, you’re in luck because fortunately, one exists. One thing that you can do is that you can set a goal of becoming healthier, happier, and fitter person. One should focus on providing the body with nourishment rather than depriving it
12. Supplements & Whey Protein
Those who struggle with getting enough protein in their diet should consider taking a supplement as an aid while in the process of losing weight. If you take the decision to replace part of the calories with whey protein it has positive benefit such as the result in the loss of 8 pounds while causing an increase in muscle mass
13. Beat Your Food Addiction
Food addiction is known to be a factor in obesity, and many still remain unaware that they may suffer from a form of food addiction. One way you can find out whether or not you have food addiction is to see if you suffer from an overpowering need to eat all the time and if you’re able to keep your food intake under control. If by chance you do suffer from food addiction, it is strongly advised that you seek some form of help as soon as you can; because it is impossible if you try to lose weight before you deal with this issue first.
Is it good to have tea and biscuit in the morning?
Imagine your life without the Tea and Biscuit combo especially if you are from north India. For most of us, the moment of sheer relaxation is the moment of holding a hot cup of favorite tea with a tray filled with the variety of biscuits. It’s been a custom to entertain ourselves or our guests with this so-called light snacking option. Not just at home, a piping hot cup of tea is sold like hot-selling cakes in every street of India.
Everyone has a specific preference for his type of tea like Milk Tea, Masala Tea, English Breakfast, Darjeeling green, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, White Tea, Yellow Tea, Dark Tea, Black Tea etc. Similarly, biscuit fans have a wide list of varieties available nowadays on market shelves. But, for weight watchers, the most common trend these days to consume the digestive version of biscuits and not the common biscuits. Can you relate to this???
Well, if you think that biscuits are healthy… The answer is NO… all the varieties of biscuits or cookies are just the same & can truly be categorized as processed foods, no matter what brand name has been printed on the packet.
This article thus brings out some eye-opening nutritional facts about the so-called & believed combination of TEA & BISCUITS.
FACTS ABOUT TEA
India is a largest tea drinking country in the world. But consuming as the first thing after you wake up or drinking it too frequently throughout the day, is not a wise choice. Wanna know why…
- It increases acid production in the stomach – Our stomach produces acid (HCl/ Hydrochloric Acid) to digest food well. Even at fasting state, the ph of the stomach remains acidic around 1-2. Thus, consuming tea as the first thing in the morning after overnight fast or consuming it as the main fluid source in a day, can lead to hyperacidity and thus, gastric problems like ulcer, bloating, constipation can happen.
- It causes dehydration because drinking too much tea may have diuretic action i.e. increasing urine output. Tea results in water to be drawn out from the tissues causing dehydration.
- It may cause indigestion, due to the presence of milk as an important ingredient, tea can cause symptoms of indigestion.
FACTS ABOUT BISCUITS
The eye-catching word on the packet is WHOLEMEAL WHEAT FLOUR – used as the main ingredient. But actually, these biscuits are mass produced that contain primarily whole wheat flour, malic acid, & tartaric acid, vegetable oil, powdered skim milk, sugar and of course baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). The baking soda in the baked goods will not help in digestion because the heat of the baking oven alters its properties but surely has sodium intact which can increase blood pressure or increase water retention.
How many digestive biscuits do you eat each time? The most common answer is …TWO!! But from a health expert’s point of view, you should not incorporate even the digestive biscuits in bulk quantity in your routine diet.
Two digestive biscuits contain about:
- 150 calories.
- 20 g carbs.
- 5 g Sugar.
- 2 g proteins.
- 1 g fiber.
A single biscuit contains about 75 calories. Proving them to be high in energy with very little nutritional value.
On the contrary, a large apple contains around 90 calories with loads of additional nutritional value. Or a fistful of roasted nuts is also a better option to munch.
Don’t choose by name, know what’s actually in!
All biscuits are made from similar ingredients & are not exactly a great source of nutrition as commonly believed. The usual ingredients in a digestive biscuit are-
1. SUGAR- The sugar content of digestive biscuit may not be as high as regular biscuits but is enough to not to be considered healthy. Each biscuit has around (3-5) grams of sugar. And as obvious effects, regular consumption of added sugar is not good for your waist, blood sugar levels & heart too.
2. FLOUR- Although claimed to be commonly whole wheat flour or oats, but it is the smaller particle size which is needed to make a biscuit in a semi-refined form of flour. Moreover, the processing of wheat does lead to a loss of vitamins, minerals & even bran. Thus, it may not be the best choice for including fiber in the daily menu.
3. FATS- Contrary to what is expected, a whopping amount of 3-5 grams of saturated fat is present per digestive biscuit.
4. SODIUM – You will be surprised to know that taking 4 digestive biscuits is equal to nearly a bag of potato chips! That’s really a matter of concern for our heart health or for the people with high blood pressure, who eat these biscuits mistaking them to be a healthier option.
5. PRESERVATIVES- Added to increase the shelf life of a product. Always bear in mind that any product with more than 2 weeks of shelf life will be loaded with chemicals called preservative to prevent or slow down biological deterioration.
Nutritional Values of common varieties or brands of biscuits available in India
Given below is the broad analysis of nutritional contents of common varieties or brands of biscuits available in India
Tea and biscuits seem a tempting combination in which tea is a rich source of antioxidants called Catechins, which are beneficial when consumed in limited quantities at appropriate timings. Overconsumption of this universally favorite morning beverage is harmful to our gut & waist.
Optionally, feeding oneself with 3-4 cups of healthy alternatives like green tea, herbal tea or lemon tea could make a great difference from antioxidant as well as digestion point of view. Also, it is the need of the hour to strictly avoid munching not so healthy options like digestive biscuits, as they are:
- High in fat, particularly saturated fats.
- Low in vitamins and minerals.
- High in sugar and sodium.
- Typically, biscuits consist of highly refined or semi-refined flour & chemically hardened vegetable oil.
- The healthy seeming words like oats & dried fruits often contain more sugar than standard biscuits.
- The worst thing is trans fats.
Hope the information above is helpful to you and your loved ones. Give a like if you found it useful and do share it.
Stay blessed, stay informed & Live Life More 🙂